Tuesday, September 30, 2014

AUGUSTA 70.3 race report

There is so much to be said for this finish line.  This was my 'A' race: it's been all I have been living for since March.  There is so many things to be said that I am not sure where to begin so I am going to try my best to section this: Friday, Saturday, Sunday pre-race, Sunday swim, Sunday bike, Sunday run, Sunday FINISH, Sunday post-race, IM CHATT, and thank-you's (that deserves a whole blog.....)
SO!

Friday: I walk with my dear friend Ashley, of which I have been doing for quite a few weeks now. and madly love the recovery time, and chat time with a 'non-crazy triathlete' friend.  Started the day off right! Anyways.  Dad got here..and drove all day. Got IHOP for lunch of which I wanted for WEEKS. drove some more.  Got to Augusta and met up with Chris, Lez, and Michael.  My 'always there no matter what' team I decided. Talked strategy.  Talked race.  Talked life.  Yeah.
Ash, me, and MAW. Gosh they are a supportive crew.
Saturday: So we woke up.  Dad and I ran 2 miles around Augusta which was cool.  Went to breakfast with Chris, Lez, Michael, and my new bud TK. Went to the expo.  Got all checked-in.  Went to athlete meeting.  Met up with Amelia and Mel and their families, and got a cool hoodie!  Got our bikes checked-in at transition, and had lunch.  Chilled.  Went to dinner with Amelia and Mel and their crew that night.  It was beautiful to be in their zone of life.
Ladies!!!
staying at the expo hotel was probably the best decision of life yet.
Sunday pre-race: So we woke up.  And I was pretty chill.  Just in awe that the day finally arrived.  The 2 hour wait between start time and my 'go' time wasn't bad at all because the race hype was so intense and so many people out there.  I was so thankful because that is what I was nervous for!


Swim: Not much to say! Except water got in my right goggle so I just swam with my right eye closed haha.  That hasn't happened before but I just went with it.  Also, for about a good 15 minutes this girl and I swam in sync together. Girl, I'll never know you but it was awesome getting to do that!  We breathed the same and kept the same pace so that was fun! Got out at 29 minutes and was floored. 
excited? I think so. 
I mean geez it's a party of 'hotness' all over.
Bike:  got to T1, took my sweet time because I knew I had all day! Got on the bike and off I go! I had heard it was hilly, but got better after mile 30 and I couldn't agree more! There were a few doozies, but if you trained in Jackson, you were good to go! There were some awesome down-hill moments that I just simply rode and held on for dear life, and stood in awe that this was really happening.  I didn't think about too too much.  I prayed for my IMCHATT friends, sang a few songs, glanced at my headband that Becca and I decided we would 'wear' that day, and just chit-chatted with the people you basically get into a system with of playing leap-frog!  They become your BFF's. It was also cool to sport my FF (fleet feet) kit because there were quite a few all over the course, so anytime I saw one or they saw me we were like "OMGSH FF SO COOL WHICH ONE?!" and we were instant BFF's. So. Bike: 3:07.  I was pumped to be right where I wanted, and ahead of my total time.
This describes all 56 miles in a picture.  Seriously.
the 'headband'
Run:  So I got to T2 and saw Mel, Amelia, and Lez.  I was thrilled to see not just one but all 3 ladies!! I took my sweet time again in transition because I kept saying it was worth it.  It was.  So I set out on the run, and Amelia and I are close, and we get to the music/water table and all weekend we were saying All About That Bass was our JAM, and PLEASE guess what was playing at that moment.  I dang looked back and had a 5 second all-out/jam-out with her.  I knew it was gonna be GREAT. So off I go.  Shortly after I see Melanie on the course and screamed at her and cheered her on, and exchanged what had to have been so weird, a hug/high-five/hand touch all in one motion.  Oh well.  So I continue on, and end up running with this girl named Ally for 5 miles or so.  It was awesome to share life stories.  Continue on.  I saw Lez in those 5 miles and it was great to see her smiling face on the run course too-she looked awesome!! I met up with this guy named Byron for about a mile or so and talked.  He was too fast for me though.  Saw Michael around mile 11 and he was so so encouraging for my last few miles and told me to finish strong and I surely did! Run: 1:55

Finish: it was everything I hoped for and dreamed of.  My video best describes it basically.  It wasn't like I was "OH FINALLY PRAISE JESUS THE FINISH LINE THIS SUCKS". But it was more like "OH FINALLY PRAISE JESUS THE FINISH LINE I HAVE BEEN DESIRING THIS SINCE MARCH HOW BEAUTIFUL!" Make sense? Hope so. Oh and I had been hoping for that jump since before I went to Peru-so I am thrilled I remembered ;)

Post race: I crossed the line and went through the athlete tent looking at all there was to do and all I wanted was to find dad and take off my shoes! My feet were hurting since a few miles into the run, so I know for IMCHATT to get new shoes at the 1/2 way mark. Anyways, so I stumbled to get out and found my dad and hugged his neck and just kept saying, "I FINISHED UNDER SIX I HIT 5:45!" I was thrilled is an understatement. I was crying is also an understatement.
For all wondering: I peed at EACH event in the race.  I feel successful.  No emergency stops needed, but I surely wasn't stopping to pee dang it!
If you see me the next oh year...I'll probably have this hat on.
My splits.  ROCKIN'! (I made it big so you could read it....)
IM CHATT: Well. The past oh month and a half I honestly have been getting SO irked at so many people telling me to sign up for a full IM.  Pissed is an understatement really.  So. The fact I am signed up is truly a sign from the Lord God Himself that it's my time.  We got an e-mail a few days before Augusta saying 'priority sign-up for Augusta peeps' basically.  And.  It clicked.  I want the full title.  All in one swoop-I knew I was going to sign up and I thought 'oh crap'. So.  Dad and I talked. A while.  And. MY $726 later.  Here is me immediately after.  I don't think I really know what I got myself into but all I know is that as I watched every single one of my friends finish and cried endless tears watching, I knew I made the right decision.  I couldn't watch next tri season happen and me not finish one..or at least attempt one. 140.6 here I come! I even know my coach. LISA MCCOMBS with triouradventure.  An awesome blog about life of triathletes and in general.  It's so fun to follow and I am thrilled she is going to help me cross that finish line!
I went to the table and I said I might throw up.  The lady goes:  there's a trash can and I brought a pack of tic-tacs.  Touche'.
My sappy moment that has been long awaited: There are endless amounts of people that helped me get to the finish line and each person crossed my mind simultaneously.  There aren't enough pictures to describe my amount of appreciation for each person who followed me this day.  I could SERIOUSLY feel the vibes: I mean..look at my splits.  They rock.  They wouldn't be that great with-out the support, love, encouragement, and everything else in-between from you guys.  From my main cheer leader of my padre', to April Hudson always liking every pic on insta I post, to my RA staff who listened every week to my 'what's good' be some weird training something I completed.  Thank you just doesn't do justice.  Also.  Lemme just say.  The phrase Becca and I dubbed 6 months ago is still true.  "OH LORD GOD ONLY YOU KNOW".  Seriously.  Jesus knew this day was going to be great and I can't even begin to describe the awesome experience we had this day. (meaning Jesus and I and also Becca and I....my other main cheerleader besides dad who deserves endless amounts of free Sonic... ;) ) 
Shameless plug because she deserves a pic.  That's how supportive she is.  Isn't into this sport and has been there since moment one for me.  Thanks doesn't begin to describe my love for this girl.
My dad.  I think everyone knows how wonderful of a dad I have.  If you know my life story then you just reallllllllllly know how amazing he is.  This whole weekend was mine.  He was there for me every step of the way.  Until the very end when he waited at Starbucks for me to come get my iPad.  My dad was all over the course and he was pretty exhausted from the day too by the end! Heck.  The next day I think he was in more pain that I was!! I didn't want anyone else to be with me every step of the way, and I know for IM Chatt he will be the one I want to see at my finish line too.  Dad. I ran every step knowing I would see ya around that course because I knew you would be ALLLL over just like you were! STELLAR.  Best. Sherpa. Ever. For all you triathletes!

I started to write about a picture of individual people under this, but they each were two paragraphs long and might have overwhelmed blogger.  So.  There will never be a complete list.  If you encouraged me, trained with me, anything, you helped me get to the finish line. And I wish I could write a novel about you all because I seriously am too emotional over the fact that it's done and I had so many loving people there with me in spirit.  So....thanks.  I truly believe in the fact of 'it takes a village to raise a child' and I believe that applies here. 
I couldn't leave without mentioning these beautiful people.  My race buds.  Chris and Lez and I have been going at this together since March and we have been through it all together.  Y'all. I would not be here without your support, your training time, your shower.....yeah.  You watched me ride with clips the first time and you still like me.  True friends.
Amelia and Mel.  You ladies kept me sane leading up to this race! My 'mom tri friends' I call you and that you are.  I hope when I am a mom I am as amazing and inspiring to someone like myself.  I love you both dearly and loved getting to train and do life with you and look forward to more.  I loved getting to race with you people. Seriously.
My Meg heart love this picture more than anything.
Ok. Bed time. Peace.

2 comments:

  1. You! This! Uncrustables! All of it are Ah-mazing! I am so happy we connected and finally got to meet. You are so motivating and appreciative of what and who you have in your life. That's what makes an amazing person. God has big plans for you at IMCHOO. I cannot wait to follow along! Total Megan sherpa for life here! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing. And I'm HONORED to Coach you to your Ironman finish line.

    ReplyDelete