Sunday, March 15, 2015

And then there were 50...miles, meals, messes, various 'megs', and minus running.

Well, the fact I am sitting here typing this blog is pretty amazing to me.
I have so many thoughts, emotions, feelings, laughs, tears, and all the in-betweens pertaining to what occurred.
Yes. 50 miles was conquered; more than that.
100 miles was taken captive by Hal, Matt, and Helen.
I'm not sure where to start, so I'll start at the beginning.
*cue 9 hour drive*

Saturday we get to race site, see them off at 7 am, we set up 'base' camp, and drive all around finding them within the first 50 miles.  Re-fueling them, feeding, clothing,  tying shoes, and all the random in-betweens you can fathom.
Let's take a moment to explain.  Each one of them had a 'pacer', and it is your job to help/encourage/talk to/drag when needed, to get them to the finish.  I was Hal's pacer for the last of his 50 miles, thus in process getting my own 50 miler....FO' FREE YO! *cue poor college kid dance*
The first 20 miles seems like a blur.  Run..walk..drink..run..walk..drink..eat..repeat. (the fact I even say FIRST 20 makes me want to throw up!!)
After leaving an aid station Hal tells me (his mile like 70) that his hip hurts pretty bad, and needs some meds and some help at base.
So. We get there. Long story short this dang PT was not encouraging to Hal, so we just walked the 3 mile loop and realized we could just...keep walking 25 more miles and make the time cut-off.
*cue where we walk 25 more miles and have one of the most insane night of our lives*
So. We walk. I have debated on how to explain to the common man just how difficult and crazy it is to say we walked the last 30. But. In short here we go.
You just. Mentally say.
Walk.
No matter what.
So. We did. If anyone has questions about Hal's life hit me up ;). When you spend 16 1/2 hours together it happens. We have a connection no one else can take. His first 100. My first 50. Sheesh.
Miles 35-42 were my personal deep dark place. I hear of it happening to ultra runners and I expereinced it. You are convinced the end isn't coming. All the while attempting (with a few fails) to keep Hal talking, and not hating it too too much. However he was so out of it I knew I could jump in and out and not miss much (hehe).
I don't mean to sound like a diva, however. I seriously cried the entire 7 miles (sorry Hal I just couldn't tell you!!) . Silent tears fell to the sand while pain was shooting through my hips. It happens I guess when you do like 2 marathons.  At this point I knew I wasn't leaving this race untouched by the injury monster.  I say that to make known that I am not untouchable.  I get hurt; I struggle.
But. We saw the sun set together, saw the stars, good ole faithful 'Mr. Moon', and when we started to see the sun rise we knew we were going to see that glorious white banner that said finish.
The sun took me out of darkness and into the glorious light of day.

Some favorites/monumental moments:
1) At one point in the walk Hal decides to 'run'. After a few minutes. Looks over. I'm still walking. And DYING laughing. We dubbed it the iron horse shuffle and the old man shuffle.
2) We are in the last 4 miles and I see Hal's hands have morphed into Hulk hands. So I laugh and tell him to look and we spend a while laughing on that.  We still laugh about that one.
3) Around 4am we run into Matt and his pacer Karen. And. This was in my darkness. And Karen's smile was enough to help me be positive. Thanks girlie! From pacing you for 20 miles to this trip. I love running with you.
4) The last 3 miles we saw a shadow and determined it was someone checking our name off the list. Then I decided it was a power ranger. Oops.

The final 2 miles we simply talked about 'what did you learn?'
My first response: never question speed walkers again!
HAH!
So. We see the finish and Hal runs in so I run with him. It was worth it.
For Hal. For me. For our lives. For in years when I say. HECK YES I RAN A 50 MILER SPONTANEOUSLY WITH A BUD WHO DID 100.
I still can't believe ALL 3 of them finished. All us crew just kept sayin '3 FOR 3 FROM MISSISSIPPI!'
I know I was there for Hal however I need to shout-out to my text encouraging group back home. I had a small group I would tell I'm alive and text short phrases to of our status. Thanks guys.


So. We get back. I get back on the paleo bus for a week. Get off for a day. Get on for a few days.
So. There's a sad twist.
I can't run. (Next paragraph explains) What do I do instead of run?
I go back to old Meg habits like I used to do.
Eat.  Let's be honest.  It's my main life struggle.
I feel incredibly vulnerable and open even claiming it. This is a double fail. I'm taking in lots of sugar, crap, and everything in-between. Like 'usual', however; no running.  Fail.
Graduation is May 9th and I am now determined to be back to my 'pre ultra' Meg clothes.
So. With that. Let's back up.

No running???
I for sure strained my left hip flexor-if it's anything else is major pending.  I'm ready to know.
Why? It happens with ultras. No regrets for ONE MOMENT.
I attempted to run 3 weeks after the race. My goal was 20 minutes. I made it 14 minutes.
I know. Crazy.
So. Here I am.  All of me.
Figuring out what it looks like to be 'new meg' while seeing 'old meg' try to creep in every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment